The I-9 form is used for employment eligibility when hiring new employees. It is one of many forms that need to be completed when you onboard a new employee.
Effective Tuesday, January 17, 2017, the new I-9 form, which is dated 11/14/2016, must be used.
Here is a summary of the changes
- Section 1 asks for “other last names used” rather than “other names used,” and streamlines certification for certain foreign nationals.
- The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly.
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- A dedicated area for including additional information rather than having to add it in the margins.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.
The instructions have been separated from the form and include specific instructions for completing each field.
The revised form is also easier to complete on a computer. To check to see if you are using the correct I-9, check the form’s date, which should be 11/14/2016. If you are using the one dated 03/08/2013, you are using the old one and must switch to the new one.
You can download the new form here: